Friday, May 6, 2011

Project 365, Day 114. Digital slight of hand.



So I'm in Dubai...

I'm at the offices of the company I am working for, outside shooting a couple of quick pics, which happen to be at the airport.

Well, they don't permit photography at the airport.

I got hauled in to the security office and was asked to delete the images. Fine, at least they didn't try to take my camera.

So I pushed the "format card" button on the camera, which erases every image on the card. Look, see? No more pictures.

Fine, everyone is happy. Except me...

Thing is, I had some images I shot while I was at the hotel that I wanted. They were the only images I shot for the previous day and had to be used for my project.

Not a problem. The second I got done formatting the card and left the security office, I took out the card out of the camera and switched it for another one.

You see, I have invested a few dollars in data recovery software. As long as the card isn't overwritten by new data, the deleted pictures are still on that card. It just LOOKS like they aren't on the card.

Now you see them, now you don't.



Now you see them again.

Turns out the pictures I wanted to use didn't really turn out how I was hoping, but some of the ones security wanted gone sure did...

The software did a good job, there appears to be no degradation of the images or data quality. In fact, I stitched together a panorama from the deleted images and Photoshop was able to accomplish it without difficulty.

2 comments:

  1. the tales behind the pictures are always more interesting than the subjects. LOL (the pictures are always great but really I don't have the keen eyes or camera skills to apprciate them adequately sometimes)

    you're such a rebel, ner'vod, I applaud your efforts to accomplish your missions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, go Brian! Glad you outsmarted them. Can you post the photos taken at the airport that were so "sensitive"? Then again, you might want to wait until you are out of country.

    ReplyDelete